Paint Horse Colour Requirements
For your horse to be eligible for the regular registry, the following applies:
A. A horse meeting bloodline requirements must have a definite natural Paint marking.
B. For the purpose of this rule, the term natural Paint marking shall mean a predominant hair coat colour with at least one contrasting area of solid white hair of the required size with some underlying unpigmented skin present on the horse at the time of its birth. This solid white area must be in the prescribed zone depicted in the illustration below. In the event the horse has a predominantly white hair coat, the term natural Paint marking shall mean at least one contrasting area of the required size of colored hair with some underlying pigmented skin present on the horse at the time of its birth. This coloured area must be in the prescribed zone depicted in the illustration below.
C. The natural Paint marking as described in B above must extend
more than two-inches (2) and be in the prescribed zone depicted in
D. The natural Paint markings on a horse with both parents registered as described in Rule RG-015. may be anywhere on the horses body or legs behind a line:
1. (Reference point 1) from the base of the ear forward
horizontally to the base of the other ear; or
2. From the base of the ear to the outside corner of the eye, continuing to the corner of the mouth; or
3. From the corner of the mouth, under the chin, to the other corner of the mouth; or
4. (Reference point 2) A level line around the leg at the center
of the knee. (The center of the knee is determined by using
the bony protrusions on the back of the knee as the starting
point and drawing a level line horizontally around the knee).
5. (Reference point 3) A level line around the leg at the point
of the hock. (This hock line is determined, starting at the
point of the hock and draw in a line horizontally around the
6. The natural Paint marking need not be visible from a standing position.
7. Non-qualifying areas include but are not limited to the following locations:
b. Lips of vulva;
c. Shaft of penis;
d. Inner sheath not visible without physical manipulation of the area.
E. To be eligible for registration in the Regular Registry, a horse must possess one additional Paint Horse trait that need not be visible from a standing position if the natural Paint marking:
EXCEPTION I: occurs in an extension of a high stocking beyond reference point 2 or reference point 3. The natural Paint marking must extend more than 2-inches, be one solid white area and have some
underlying unpigmented skin. The extension must be in excess of two inches above the line specified (either horizontally or vertically).
EXCEPTION II: occurs in an extension of a face marking beyond reference point 1. The natural Paint marking must extend more than 2-inches, be one solid white area and have some underlying unpigmented skin. The extension must be in excess of two inches beyond the line specified (either horizontally or vertically).
F. Additional Paint Horse traits for purposes of this registration rule are listed below. These traits alone do not qualify a horse for the Regular Registry.
1. White leg markings extending above the knee and/or hocks;
2. Glass, blue or watch eye(s);
3. Apron face or bald face, described as outside a line from the inside corner of the eye to the
inside corner of the nostril;
4. White on the jaw or lower lip;
5. Blue zone around a natural Paint marking;
6. Two color mane, one colour being natural white;
7. Dark areas or freckles in white hair on the face or legs;
8. White areas in the non-visible zone, excluding the head, completely surrounded by a
9. A contrasting area of another colour in the non-visible zone including the head, on the
predominantly white horse.
G. Any horse registered in the Regular Registry which has marginal colour, or colour which may not be easily observable, shall have noted in the remarks section of their registration certificate the size and locations of the qualifying area. If inspected, the date of inspection shall be noted.
For more information download the following